One of the greatest challenges facing Americans today is ensuring the financial well being and security of your family throughout your retirement years. With uncertainty over the adequacy of social security growing daily, it’s increasingly necessary to rely on your own savings plans and resources to support your future retirement plans.
Yet another challenge is finding money for the impending college education expenses for your children. Tuition and other collegiate expenses are on the rise, so it’s a good idea to get a head start on saving for those expenses now, instead of getting caught unprepared later!
At Credit Union of Georgia we offer 3 long term savings accounts geared to help you save for your family’s future: Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESAs).
Traditional IRAs are valuable long-term savings tools that can provide safety and security for you and your family. Your contributions can be deducted from your taxable income, reducing the income taxes you are currently paying.
- Can be opened and funded without any employer participation
- Contributions and/or earnings are tax-deferred until retirement
- Possible deductions based on retirement plan participation and income
- Provide full accessibility to your funds; 10% early distribution penalty if younger than 59 ½ years
- Completely flexible as there is no minimum contribution in any year
- Members under age 70 ½ years may contribute a maximum of $5K per year
Credit Union of Georgia offers a Traditional IRA that pays competitive market rates. To view Credit Union of Georgia’s rates, please click here.
Roth IRAs offer you a very easy way to plan for the future of you and your family. Your contributions are not tax-deductible but the earnings within a Roth IRA are tax-free as long as your funds have been in the account for at least 5 years and you are either over 59½ years of age, disabled, or buying your first home.
Roth IRA Features:
- The money you contribute to a Roth IRA has already been taxed. So the principal amount is never subject to taxes or penalties in the future, as long as you stay within the contribution guidelines.
- Roth IRAs enable the money you contribute to grow tax-deferred. If you do not withdraw any of the earnings until you have had the IRA for at least 5 years and have a qualifying event, those earnings become tax-free.
- There is no 70½ year age limit on making contributions. You do, however, need earned income, which is defined the same as for Traditional IRAs. As long as you satisfy the Roth IRA requirements, you may contribute to a Roth IRA, even after the year in which you reach 70½ years.
Credit Union of Georgia offers a Roth IRA that pays competitive market rates. To view Credit Union of Georgia’s rates, please click here.
COVERDELL EDUCATION SAVINGS ACCOUNTS (ESAs)
Are you ready to start planning for your child’s future? There is no time like the present! And the perfect way to start is with a Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) from Credit Union of Georgia.
The Educational Savings Account (ESA) allows after-tax contributions of $2K per year for each child until they reach 18 years of age. Contributions and earnings are tax free when withdrawn to pay for qualified education expenses which include tuition, fees, books, supplies and equipment. Coverdell Education Savings Account Features:
- Contributions are not tax-deductible, but the contributions may earn interest tax deferred until distributed
- The child will not owe tax on any withdrawal from the account if withdrawal is equal to or less than the child’s qualified education expenses at an eligible educational institution for the year
- Amounts withdrawn from an ESA that exceed the child’s qualified education expenses in a taxable year may be subject to income tax and to an additional penalty of 10%
- If the child doesn’t need the money for pre or post secondary education, the child may roll or transfer the balance to an eligible family member’s ESA or to a qualified tuition program (QTP)
Credit Union of Georgia offers a Coverdell Education Savings Account that pays competitive market rates. To view Credit Unionof Georgia’s rates, please click here.
Rollover your 401K or 403B
We can assist you with the direct transfer of qualified retirement funds to a new or existing IRA at Credit Union of Georgia. Consider the advantages of a direct rollover:
- Protects retirement money from immediate taxation as income
- Earns tax-deferred dividends
- Avoids the mandatory 20% federal withholding on all eligible rollover distributions from qualified retirement plans
- Saves an additional 10% tax imposed on early withdrawals of retirement savings.